Monday, August 27, 2012

Hello (and Goodbye) Kitty!

Me and Beth, driving along a 4-way highway.

Furry little thing shoots across the street.

"WATCH IT, WATCH IT, WATCH IT!"

I brake. I miss it. I don't know how I miss it, but I do.

"What was it?"

"A cat...I think."

I pull over. Nothing around but fields...and lots of traffic.

We don't even know what we're looking for.

We search through the tall grass. Beth spots it. "There it is!"

Tiny little kitty. Soooo tiny. Striped. Skinny. Trembling. Terrified.

Beth scoops it up and we run back to the car.

Eli, in the back seat, is not a happy camper. This is the dog, after all, who recently swallowed a bunny whole.

"What're we gonna do with it?"

Me: "Hell if I know. I have to go to work in an hour!"

Eli meets my eyes in the review mirror. We are not keeping that thing.

"I know," I tell him.

We are so not keeping it. I will eat it.

He demonstrates this by launching between the seats and opening his jaws over the kitten's head.

"Bad dog! Leave it!"

Not a good idea to bring a kitten into a house with a dog who hates cats. Especially bunny-sized cats.

"I can keep it in my room," Beth says.

"OK. Just till tomorrow. Then we'll figure out what to do."

We stop at Petco to buy litter, a pan, and cat food. The staff all crowds around the kitten, ooh-ing and ahh-ing.

He has a booboo on his head and one on his tummy. His woodpecker heart beats hard against my hand.

I take a chance. "Um, anyone want him?"

YES! Someone wants him! A very nice girl. She cuddles him to her chin, already in love with him.

"Thank you, thank you!"

Photobucket

Kitty has a home!


I put the kitty litter back on the shelf.

Eli is pleased: I told you so!


No comments: