Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Grandma Outing

OK, Grandma is set to have her hip redone soon. Well, kind of set. She went for preop testing and an old MI showed up on her EKG which means she now has to be cleared by a cardiologist.

I normally don't go with her to her appointments. They send her in an ambulance and either the NP or an aide tags along. This time I decided to go because I haven't seen her for a while (bad me) and I know she'd appreciate the company. And she can't answer any questions, period.

Then I woke up this morning to a massive blizzard. I had planned on driving downtown to meet her at the hospital, but no way I am driving anywhere in this crap (except to Borders later, lol). So I called the NP and asked if I could ride with her in the ambulance--so that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Last time I rode in an ambulance, I was strapped to a board with a C-collar on. The car accident was my fault--I fell asleep, drove though an intersection, and ended up sandwiched between 2 cars coming from opposite directions. I remember lying there, immobilized, hoping I'd slip into a coma so I wouldn't have to deal with the aftermath.

Luckily nobody, including me, was seriously hurt. But it was another five years before I'd drive through that intersection.

I hope riding with Grandma doesn't give me...you know...flashbacks.

OTOH, trapped in a confined space for 45 minutes with Grandma will probably cause me to lose my mind completely:

"Where are we going?"
"To the doctor."
"Why?"
Explain, explain...
"So where are we going again?"
"To the doctor."
"Why?"
Explain, explain...
"Hey, where are we going?"
etc
etc
etc
for........
forty......
five......
minutes.

::klunk::

I do love her, though!!! She's funny as hell when she's not repeating herself. She's funny as hell when she's not repeating herself. She's funny as hell when she's not repeating herself.

No comments: