Thursday, April 10, 2008

Grandma Update

Thank you all for your good wishes below! xox

I was in ER with Grandma last night from 8 p.m. till 1:30 a.m. and I couldn't last any longer. They admitted her, so I'll stop up today and see how she is. Other than being very sick, of course.

Highlights of the night:

1. Remembering why I'm so happy I left med-surg nursing: POOP! Lots of it. Everywhere. Hello, anybody ever get a good look at C-diff?

2. The old guy in the next bed who thought I worked there, never mind I was wearing street clothes. Because the nurses were so busy, I'm the one who had to disconnect Grandma from everything when she needed to get up, do what needs to be done, then reconnect her to the monitor, BP, IV, oxygen, pulse ox, etc.

Old Guy (peeking around the curtain): Nurse! Nurse!

Me: _______ (hoping the "real" nurse will hear him)

Old Guy: NURSE!

Me: (crap) I'm sorry, I'm not a nurse... (Wait, what am I saying? I just lied to the poor man) ...I mean, I don't work here...I'm just...

Old Guy: I need a nuuuurrrrse!

Heh. Good luck finding one, dude!

So, yeah, I went over to him and reassured him that, yes, all these wires connected to him are VERY important, and no, he probably shouldn't be pulling on them. Then I pressed his call bell so the "real" nurse would come, which, thankfully, she did.

3. A full bottle of water opening up in my purse. I wondered why that sucker felt so heavy. I dripped water everywhere. The purse is ruined...but you know what this means? I GET TO BUY A NEW ONE!

4. Getting to read for a couple hours, and what did I read? STUCK IN THE 70s by D.L. Garfinkle. Go, Debby! Thanks for a chance to escape my own reality. :)

5. You couldn't pay me enough to work in an emergency room. Of course, I once said that about a psych unit, too.

No comments: