Friday, May 25, 2007

Interview

Yesterday's interview for the newspaper went very well! Yes, I was nervous--it's one think to answer questions online, but to sit face to face? The reporter was very sweet and personable, put me perfectly at ease (we grew up in the same neighborhood and attended the same schools) and no, she didn't record me--she scribbled notes on a legal pad...which, I thought, was pretty much reserved for court room defendants, lol. A tape recorder might have done me in.

She asked about my writing process and was surprised to find out I do the majority of my writing in a coffee shop. She asked about the submission process, where I get my ideas, the (endless) editing process, and how difficult it is to get published. We talked a bit about my book, and another thing that seemed to surprise her is how I, a whitebread chick from the suburbs, was able to write about the life of a poor girl growing up in the inner city. It was shockingly easy, lol, when you consider where I've been working for the past 25 years. She also asked about my new WIP, but I was kind of leery about discussing it since it hasn't been submitted yet, let alone accepted.

I also plugged the CLASSOF2k7 and gave her some printed material, so hopefully we'll get a bit of publicity. :)

The story will run a bit closer to my release day which is June 26, although Jill informed me the books probably won't reach the bookstores till July.

So it was fun!

And now I can get back to editing, and thinking about the BEA--for which I have NOTHING to wear, but that's a whole 'nother rant. Plus I'm already anticipating major withdrawal now that it dawned on me I'll be laptop-less for four whole days. Schlepping it along is pretty much out of the question.

Thanks to ALL of you for your sweet comments about my book pics!

No comments: